an early-American treasure, is one of Fauquier Countys most completely
preserved nineteenth-century farmsteads. The property goes back to Robert
King Carters land grant, while the present-day farmhouse, originally a 2-story log cabin, was built by
the Fitzhugh family sometime around 1817. A classic example of an early
Virginia working farm, Weston retains its rare collection of ten original
agricultural and domestic outbuildings: log kitchen, smokehouse, overseers
cabin; dairy, corn crib, blacksmith shop, tool shed/workroom, two barns
and a stable.
family of Charles Joseph Nourse owned Weston from 1859-1959, making
several 19th century additions to the house and farming the land. Stories
abound from the time when the family found refuge there during the Civil
War throughout their 100 year ownership of the property. Charless
daughters Charlotte and Constance were born and died at Weston. During
their lifetime, Weston served as a weekend get-a-way for soldiers from
the nearby army post, Vint Hill Farms Station; a summer camp for girls
and a tea room. It is from here that the two sisters, both artists,
sold their artwork to raise money to keep Weston a viable working farm.
Today, standing on 10 of its original 469 acres, the old house and its
outbuildings are surrounded by giant oaks, sweeping lawns, woodlands
and cornfields. The Casanova Hunt maintains its kennels on the property.
Most of the furnishings in the house are original. Daily life of the
Nourses can be seen in the remaining diaries, ledgers, letters and photographs.